Arnica is a well-known plant used as a topical first aid application and for general aches and pains. Despite the infamous use for a simple bruise, it’s capabilities run far broader, and should be held in higher regard than just for applying to your bruised extremities.
In addition to muscular fatigue and weariness, arnica can be considered for emotional well-being after a shock or trauma. Someone who is disorientated, fearful and says they “feel ok”, when in fact, they are showing clear signs of shock and distress.
As suggested, the power of this beautiful flower is far reaching and extends to acute nose bleed, black eyes that are slow to heal, and over-exertion. Ever felt tired and weary after a long drive or trip overseas? Then consider arnica for jet lag or tiredness when the bed feels too hard to settle to sleep.
Arnica Montana has been used for medicinal purposes since the 1500s, traditionally used as a herbal tincture for wound healing, and is still popular today. As a homeopathic support, arnica can be taken both orally and applied topically as an ointment or cream.
Listed below are acute conditions and symptoms where arnica can provide support in recovery.
- Sore, lame, bruised muscles.
- After injury; blunt trauma.
- After a shock or injury.
- Eye strain.
- Fever with heat and redness about the head, body feels cold.
- Sleeplessness when overtired.
- Nose bleeds after excessive coughing.
- Feel worse lying down, and the bed feels too hard.
- Feel better for movement.
HELP & ADVICE
- The recommended homeopathic potency for acute conditions is 30c.
- Patheia highly recommended that you seek professional advice from a qualified homeopath for administration guidance and support; Contact Patheia or Find a Homeopath; New Zealand Council of Homeopaths.
- As with any injury or first aid situation, always seek advice from your emergency medical team, your G.P. and/or qualified healthcare practitioner.
- Do not use arnica topically on broken skin.
- Further reading; Kiwiherb New Zealand; How Does Arnica Really Work?
- Symptoms as listed in Boericke’s Homeopathic Materia Medica (9th Edition)
- PubMed.gov (http://bit.ly/2l9ri9m)
Disclaimer: This blog post is for educational purposes only. It is not designed to diagnose, treat or cure. It is important to discuss any health concerns with your holistic health care practitioner and/or relevant health professional.